· The format was specified by Douglas Crockford.
· It was designed for human-readable data interchange.
· The filename extension is .json.
· JSON Internet Media type is application/json.
· The Uniform Type Identifier is public.json.
- Uses of JSON:
· JSON format is used for serializing and transmitting structured data over network connection.
· It is primarily used to transmit data between a server and web applications.
· Web services and APIs use JSON format to provide public data.
· It can be used with modern programming languages.
- Characteristics of JSON
- JSON is easy to read and write.
- It is a lightweight text-based interchange format.
- JSON is language independent.
- Simple Example in JSONThe following example shows how to use JSON to store information related to books based on their topic and edition.